Sunday, July 30, 2006

Crafty Wedding Shower Gift


I made this lovely faux wedding cake from the set of towels on my sister-in-law Jean's registry for her bridal shower this afternoon. The bottom tier of the cake is two bath sheets folded lengthwise twice. The middle tier is two hand towels folded into thirds. The top tier is two wash clothes folded in half.

They are wrapped around a cardboard tube that came inside a dorm-sized area rug which I cut to length ( I cut the tube, not the rug). Each tier is secured only by the ribbon (the kind with wire in it). I bought the bride and groom (who are not ethnically correct, darnit. They only had pastey white people) at Walmart (whattaya expect?). If I'd thought to look sooner I probably could have thrifted a bride and groom--too bad I'm completely incapable of planning ahead. I used a hot glue gun to stick the bride & groom to the cardboard tube--trying desparately to not get glue on the towels. The towels still have all their tags and everything, they are just tucked in.

I wish I'd thought to suggest to my mother in law that she get Jean a cakestand. I don't think Jean and Gus would ever have occasion to use a cakestand but that would have been a SWEET combination--great presentation at the shower. Although the cake alone was pretty great.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a great gift, Em. We didn't send anything or plan anything. You are on fire these days. You keep on keepin' on as the most creative and inspiring woman I know. Cheers,

Hope

emdunbar said...

thank you, hopi-one-kanopi. the shower was very nice. i'm excited about the wedding in part because YOU will be here! yeah! enjoy the rest of your time in spain.