Monday, July 31, 2006

consider my world rocked

I was told yesterday that there's been a change in Oliver's preschool program. It's a federal Title I program and apparently changes have been "handed down." Last year he went two days a week for 2-1/2 hours.

But now, not only is his preschool across the street in the same building where Pheobe & Mo go to school...not only is it completely free...but now it is FIVE DAYS A WEEK!!

That means that from noon to three everyday Monday through Friday I will be CHILD-FREE.

This is a completely revolutionary thing for me. I'm freaking out with excitement. Fifteen hours a week!

I could work out on a regular basis. I could clean my house. I could watch Days of Our Lives everyday. I could crochet until my fingers bleed. I could record music in a QUIET house. I could mow the lawn before it reaches knee-high. I could go get coffee. I could take a nap. I could go quickly to the grocery store. I could walk slowly through antique stores. I could sew. I could alphabetize my cds. I could build stuff--like a headboard! I could actually read the books for my two book groups. I could make phone calls without being interrupted. I could go to the doctor or dentist WITHOUT having to hire a babysitter. OH! OH! Monday is Paul's day off so we'll have every Monday afternoon TOGETHER! We could go to lunch! (Please keep checking back, this is list is constantly growing as I think of more possibilities).

I've been a stay-at-home mom for 7 years. We regurlarly get babysitters in the evening to go out and Paul is wonderful about giving me time to go do stuff I enjoy. I'm very lucky. I know this. But even on our vacation I had fleeting thoughts of, "we're on vacation but I'm still taking care of the kids, making three meals a day plus snacks, I'm still doing dishes and laundry." So the thought of having my afternoons to MYSELF....!?!?!?!

It's like being told you only have to work four days week. It's like being told there is now an extra month between November and December so you can get your Christmas shopping done! It's like being told there will now be 8 days in a week so you can have two Sundays (Saturdays, if you're a pastor). (Please keep checking back, this list is constantly growing as I think of more similies).

I can hardly believe it. I'm so psyched.

No comments: