Thursday, June 14, 2007

Media

Reading:
Joy Luck Club--Amy Tan (booke group)
Persuation--Jane Austen
Middle March--George Elliot (second try this year, still didn't finish but got further)
Deliver Us From Normal--Kate Klise (book group)
A Prayer For Owen Meany--John Irving (book group and my all time fave, maybe the eighth--and most profound--reading)
The Last Battle--C.S. Lewis (finished the series with the kids)
Holes--Louis Sachar (read aloud with kids--they are loving it)
Some North African Cookbooks for Dinner & Movie "Casablanca"

Movies:
Persuation
Room With a View
The Sandlot
Shaun of the Dead
28 Days Later
The American Girls: Molly (Phoebe got the dvd with the book set, but we wouldn't let her watch until she'd read all six. Molly Ringwald played Molly's mom. I cried in the end, of course)
The Piano
Half Nelson
The French Connection
Unforgiven
Night at the Museum
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

TV:
Entourage (on dvd)
Hell's Kitchen (gracious me--it was a moment of weakness, working on a sewing project with no one home...and I liked it)
Last Comic Standing (or rather I tried to tape the premier last night to no avail, but I like this show and will watch it next week)
Freaks & Geeks (on dvd while I walk on the treamill)

Music:
all Pierce Pettis tracks on shuffle
all Mark Erelli tracks on shuffle
The Police Greatist Hits
The Cars Greatest Hits

And you?

3 comments:

Susan said...

Reading: To Hell With All That (Caitlin Flanagan)
Prayer for Owen Meany
Atlantic Monthly
Backpacker
Family Fun
The Big Race (storybook version of the movie "Cars", complete with audio buttons)

Watching:
Sopranos (on dvd, season 2, during Owen's midnight bottles)
The Office (on new "watch now" feature at Netflix)

Music:
Alison Krauss
Greg Brown
David Wilcox
mystery music Ben puts in the CD player as it comes in the mail

emdunbar said...

1. stop me if we've already had this converstion, but reading Owen Meany KILLED me this time. I always skimmed over the present day 1987 stuff to get back to Owen and John in the early 1960's. But modern day John Wheelwright discussing is horror over Viet Nam through the lens of his horror with the Reagan administration had many MANY parallels with my horror over the Bush administration. Those parts of the books never meant that much to me...but this was a very different reading.

2) I didn't even know about Watch Now. You're even my one and only official Netflix friend and you didn't tell me...

3) Maybe that's because you called me (like 2 weeks ago?) and I still haven't called. Dangit! It will be good to talk to you!

4) I am dodging all Spranos spoilers until this last half a season comes out on dvd. We've seen it all until they started up again this spring with the last episodes. I'm dying to know what happens--but I want to WATCH it, not hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Can't tell what time frame you are including:

Books (since Jan. 1):
Mirror, Mirror, Gregory Maguire
Wicked
The Kite Runner
The Mother Tongue, Bill Bryson
Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Bill Bryson
Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen
Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser
Word Freak, Stefan Fatsis
The Way We Talk Now
The Botany of Desire, Michael Pollan
(non-fictions take way longer than fiction!)

TV:
West Wing on DVD (just started season four)
Sometimes the Unit, Without a Trace

Movies (the last 11):
Antonia's Line
Combination Platter
The Painted Veil
Devil Wears Prada
The Last King of Scotland
The Good Shepherd
Sliding Doors
M*A*S*H
Harold&Maude
Vengo
Children of Men

Next week: O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Songcatcher (Appalachian Movie Night)

Music (new purchases):
Jonatha Brooke
Patty Griffin

Otherwise, Paste compilation CDs, and my iTunes mix at work . . .